According to B2B Marketing Insider, Marketers, on average, spend over a quarter of their marketing budget on content marketing. 78% of B2B marketers are creating more content than they did one year ago (Content Marketing Institute). However, only 42% of marketers feel they are effective in their content marketing efforts. If marketers have the budget and they are producing more content than ever before, then why do they feel their content is not effective? Why are marketers creating content that serves no purpose or does not produce results? Perhaps it’s because they were told they need content but never told why.
If you are one of the marketers who feel their content marketing is not effective, take a look at this list of 7 common and horrible content marketing mistakes. Each one is easy to adopt into your strategy instantly and can turn your content marketing efforts around overnight.
- Not using personas – A persona is a fictional profile of a target buyer that focuses on common challenges, pain points, demographics and responsibilities. By creating personas marketers are able to create content that speaks to their target buyers directly and personally, answering their questions and solving their pain points. By writing for personas a marketer’s level of targeting becomes so high that potential buyers will feel as if the content was written specifically for them, sparking engagement and satisfaction.
- Not planning – It is said that 80% of any project is attributed to planning and the remaining 20% is all execution. When it comes to content planning, all marketers must create a content strategy that includes a content editorial calendar. A content editorial calendar includes items such as topic/title, author, due date, publish date, target persona, keywords and topic summary or description, to name a few. This allows marketers to create and publish content regularly in an organized manner and plan a head in conjunction with other company stakeholders and promotional efforts.
- Not promoting – Too many marketers create content and do not create a promotional strategy to go along with it. They feel that if they post it to their Twitter account that will be enough. After all ,it’s out there now right? Unfortunately, that is not true. If you do not promote your content, no one will know it exists and how will they find it? You must create a strategy to promote your content in all the relevant places for your target personas so that as many people as possible see it, love it and share it. Otherwise, no one will see it and the time creating the content is wasted.
- Not repurposing – Content marketing is a marketing discipline where marketers can create as much content as possible with as little effort as possible. What this means is if you create a content piece have a plan as to how you can repurpose it and promote it elsewhere. After all, customers consume content in all forms and you will want to be where they are. This could be repurposing a blog article to become an infographic, a whitepaper into a series of blog articles, or a webinar into a SlideShare and a YouTube video. Then create a publishing strategy to promote the new content pieces and cross promote where possible.
- Not including video – According to SEOmoz (now just Moz) blog posts with videos generate 3 times more inbound links that those without. Adding to that, Nielsen and comScore state that 85% of US internet users watch videos online and Internet Retailer says that viewers are 85% more likely to purchase a product after watching a video. Enough said.
- Not including influencers – Building relationships with other industry influencers is a no-brainer in my book. By working with other social influencers, including them in your blog articles, whitepapers and reports, they will be more likely to share your content to promote themselves. This is an easy and obvious way to reach their networks, which should be your target audience, and to build your social following and influencer level.
- Not including your opinion – Last but not least, make your content your own. If you have subject matter experts (SMEs) within your organization, it can be tricky but try to have them review the content to add their own spin to the content or their own opinions on the content subject. Making the content your own or their own will increase engagement and spark conversation.